The Education Services Program Assistant role offers a wonderful opportunity for someone interested in immigration and social justice issues to become part of a team of people dedicated to helping immigrants integrate smoothly into their new communities. This is a great opportunity for someone to make a positive difference in the lives of many immigrants and to learn new skills and to gain a deep appreciation for a diverse range of cultures. The role involves providing support for the Education Services program, which includes our ESOL, Citizenship Education, and Career Advancement classes. The role will be a mix of administrative support and interaction with clients. This intern/volunteer may be the first point of contact for clients, and therefore must be courteous and professional to all callers and be friendly and welcoming to clients and visitors. The ability to build relationships with a diverse range of people is key for this role. The IIIC is committed to delivering quality and innovative services in a compassionate, sensitive, and respectful manner.
This is an unpaid opportunity
Position Title: Education Services Intern
Department: Education Services
Reports to: Bonnie Greenwood, Director of Education
Time Commitment: 20-27 hours per week, preferably Monday through Thursday, but willing to work with schedules
- Meet, greet and interview potential students for our ESOL, Citizenship and Career Advancement classes following the appropriate intake protocols
- Call students and schedule appointments/answer inquiries
- Help IIIC staff prepare for upcoming classes
- Assist teachers as needed in and out of the classroom
- Provide administrative support to the Director of Education Services
- Maintain student records in our client database and spreadsheets
- Work on outreach efforts for upcoming classes
- Attend team meetings
- Assist other IIIC staff with duties as needed
- A commitment to the overall mission and values of IIIC.
- Great communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated, take-charge initiative, with the ability to multitask and to work independently
- Intermediate competency in computer skills, for example MS Word and Excel
- Spanish, French, and other language skills preferred
About the Irish International Immigrant Center:
The Irish International Immigrant Center (IIIC) is a nonprofit organization founded in 1989 by a group of Irish immigrants committed to helping others make successful transitions to new lives in the U.S. Our mission is to assist immigrants from around the world as they integrate into American society. We are a vibrant welcome center that provides legal, wellness and education services, advocates for systemic change, and facilitates cross-cultural community building. With partner organizations, we promote reconciliation in Ireland. Each year, the Center’s programs assist between 2,400 and 3,000 low-income and underserved individuals and families from more than 120 countries. Our vision is of a society where all people are welcomed and valued and enjoy equal opportunities and protections. Rooted in the Irish tradition of hospitality, we work to create a safe and welcoming place for people from around the world who come to our Center.
The Irish International Immigrant Center, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages candidates of diverse backgrounds and languages to apply.